YEHHHaaaa – so cometh the Christmas, cometh Alcopopular volume 5 – the latest in our world of alternative format compilations where we’re lucky enough to work with bands we don’t normally get to hang out with. Now this one’s taken an age (it’s been the busiest year pOp! has seen to date) so sorry about that – but I do hope the look/sound of this cheeky release will make up for it.
It’s called: ‘Hit-Hikers’ Guide to the UK (Mysterious Cities of Pop) and it’s a 20 track CD compilation via Ordnance Survey style illustrated map
It’s out on December 17th. You dig? Get it here….
Taking the form of a lovely, fold-out Ordnance Survey Style map (but obviously beautifully rendered by some cool Graphic Bomb kids) – this 20 track compilation takes the listener around the UK, songs carefully routed around the country so you can take a musical odyssey around the UK.
There’s plenty of bands who are top of every right thinking independent music fan’s mind already (Summer Camp, The JCQ, Fear of Men), but plenty of very new (very awesome) stuff too, including a cheeky recorded debut from Stagecoach’s own Luke Barham.
Ought to say as well at this point, a MASSIVE lot of love to Thomas Mews (of the 405 fame) for helping out on this. Without him, it would never have happened (And Gem BSM for photographs).
You can buy it from the shop for a cheeky £6 (for map and CD)…
Now for the history: Previously Alcopop! have released these compilations on ‘pick your own’ dinner menus with CDs in burger buns, 3” CD, cassette tape w/ walkman and treasure maps… It’s all about putting some bands we genuinely love together in the funnest format we can think of at the time. Over the years we’ve included tracks from the likes of Pulled Apart by Horses, Liam Frost, The Xcerts, Tellison, Jeremy Warmsley, The Computers and Unicorn Kid – and each compilation strives to look as pretty as a picture, with a nice little concept to boot.
01. Rams Pocket radio - Deiter Rams has the pocket Radios (Lisburn)
02. Ace City Racers – Waiting (Glasgow)
03. Wot Gorilla? – ‘Hold Me Back’ (Sowerby Bridge)
04. Elliott Morris – Home (Lincoln)
05. Nicholas Stevenson – Overthrown (Cambridge)
06. Summer Camp – ‘Probably Right’ (North London – Archway)
07. Jack R. Hardman – Lights of London (Ascot)
08. Wild Mercury Sound – Miss Frost (London)
09. The JCQ – Eyes for Ears (London)
10. Adults, The Elderly and Children – ‘Vogel’ (South London)
11. Delta/Alaska – D.L.O.I. (Kingston)
12. Tangled Hair – ‘Campfires’ (Addlestone)
13. Our Lost Infantry – ‘Pedestals’ (Aldershot)
14. Luke Barham – Found the Words (Dorking)
15. Dexy and the Hand Me Downs – Barlights (Lewisham)
16. Fear of Men – Doldrums (Brighton)
17. Bos Angeles – Pretend for You (Bournemouth)
18. The Cellar Family – Secret Admirer (Oxford)
19. Joanna Gruesome – Madison (Cardiff)
20. Squarehead – Mother Nurture (Dublin)